Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How Much am I Worth?

I’ve been poking around the Medicare website. This year, excluding hospital admissions and treatments the kind tax payers of Australia have forked out $2033 for my mental health. The cost of admissions and emergency room treatments is nowhere to be found, but four separate nights in emergency, plus a week in a psych ward would add up I think. That’s in the last three months alone; in the last 12 months the kind Australian tax payer has spent $10 975 on my mental health excluding numerous hospital admissions, emergency room presentations, ambulances and our beloved PBS. My health insurance has taken most of the burden, paying in excess of $50 000 last year, and a bit this year. So including insurance that’s almost $61 000 plus I’d guess at least another $15 000 in the excluded expenses spent in 12 months to keep someone alive who doesn’t want to be, what do you think about that?

6 comments:

  1. A life, anyone's life, is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done this too and am staggered by some of the amounts the tax payers have forked out, and feel downright guilty. I also think some doctors need their heads checked for the amounts they charge, but that's another story.

    But when it comes down to it, you didn't choose to get sick, so I would rather pay your psychiatrist, psychologist, ED, PBS, etc bills to get you to a place where you DO want to live than a smoker's bill who made a rational choice to destroy their body and wound up with cancer or some such. But hey, that's just my view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're a huge burden and a waste of taxpayer's money. It's survival of the fittest and you have FAILED.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete