Friday, June 18, 2010

Santucci's

***Not feeling great today - I'll edit this to make it a little better at a later date***

Screw Cafe Bliss with their mediocre coffee and sterile atmosphere, not to mention the surly till tender; when right across the road is Santucci’s. I’d looked at Santucci’s from across the road many a time and thought, “maybe I should give it a shot, but why risk a bad coffee, when I know I can at least get a drinkable one here”. This morning’s Bliss coffee was indeed drinkable, but I was feeling adventurous and afterwards I wandered into Santucci’s, where I was greeted by an inviting and comforting decor and a cake fridge and shelf stocked with cakes clearly made on site (confirmed later). The barista looked like he knew what he was doing and the coffees on the tables looked perfect, sadly I left my wallet at the hospital and didn’t bring enough money for a second coffee, so I had to leave coffee-less. I promptly googled Santucci’s when I got back here and found raving reviews, an epicure listing and a good mention on the coffee snobs website. It’s okay though, a second coffee trip in the same day never hurt anyone! Five whole hours later I made my way back to Toorak Rd eagerly anticipating my perfect coffee and maybe a naughty slice of cake. I was not disappointed. The coffee is supplied by gravity and is freshly ground for each order, the milk was near perfect, just a little hot and nothing at all wrong with the pour. I didn’t watch him make mine, but I saw him put a lot of care into others. I enjoyed my naughty cake – a slice of chocolate, almond and date meringue – simply lovely.

They don’t know yet, but my parents are taking me there for lunch tomorrow.


Spoon Art, an image from Santucci's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment