Sunday, June 6, 2010

First Night

Four days ago I received the glorious gift of mobile broadband, thank you dad! As a result of my five day disconnectedness from the online world (and laziness since then) the following post was written a few days ago. More will follow.

Written on 31.05.2010
I’m not going to go into the details of how I ended up here, but tonight is my first night ever in a psychiatric hospital. I hate it so far. Tomorrow I should be put into a single room but at the moment the hospital is full and they could only give me a double room. As someone who needs peace and quiet at the best of times, not being able to have it now, at the worst of times is particularly hard. The admission process was demeaning and frightening. I was transferred here by ambulance from a normal hospital where I spent the weekend (this hospital doesn’t take weekend admissions). Because of the transfer it meant I was totally alone on arrival. The admissions nurse wasn’t mean, but she could have been nicer, her student nurse was good though, she came and had a nice chat with me later on. Over the three days I spent in the other hospital I’d answered so many questions and been exposed to so many of my anxiety triggers that the last thing I needed today was more intense questioning and that’s exactly what I received.

A welcome interruption to my admissions torture was my psychiatrist (who I usually see here in the consulting suites) popping in to have a chat (interrogation) with me. It may have been difficult but at least it was a familiar face in this jungle of chaos. I asked if I could go home, it’s scary here and I really don’t like having to share a room and there are so many people, they’re everywhere. I was given the choice of staying here or being forcibly admitted to another hospital which isn’t very nice – this one is ‘voluntary’ admissions only. I chose to stay here!

At least the valium and sleeping pills are readily available!

No comments:

Post a Comment