Monday, June 21, 2010

Church Test One

I haven’t been settled in a church for a very long time now. In 2005 I left the church I’d spent the previous six years in, due to feeling very out of place and somewhat invisible. I didn’t leave and float about looking for somewhere to go; I church hunted in the evenings whilst still attending the morning services where I was. It didn’t take too long for me to find a fantastic church with nearly everything I was looking for (I accept that the perfect church doesn’t exist). I only settled at this church for eight or so months before moving across the city and the drive became too much for me. Since then I have had only short stints in other churches, never finding one that felt even remotely right. Now that I am free of the ex and no longer confined to churches around the Dandenong ranges I have greater searching power. Last night two friends and I visited an Anglican church. The A word always puts me off a church due to many bad experiences; but we were warmly greeted, the congregation was a nice size and seemed friendly, the sermon was good, not fluffy garbage and my pet hate wasn’t there, that being having the band and singers on stage like performers, it’s not a concert!

I’m in no state to give an analysis on the sermon, so you can ask Chantelle for that. I intend to go again next week, which says a lot for it. It may be difficult for me to attend because it appears I’ll be leaving here on Saturday and so will have to travel from the West – not a problem in its self, but the day after discharge may be a little much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment