Thursday, March 1, 2012

AFES

This showed up on Facebook today, it was shared by one of my friends, who I know also suffers; but it made me a little bit angry. It's the first Christian literature I've come across concerning depression and anxiety, and it is so shallow, with its ultimate point being "there there, God will come back in the end and everyone will be better". Well that's kind of one of the reasons I want to kill myself, everything will be better then! I think I'm also angry because God has done nothing to make me better, or even give me a reprieve, he's given me a few good friends which I'm grateful for, but TMS made me better, and before that Epilim, both have high success rates, so it's no miracle that they worked. Maybe God planned for me to get better this way and to have a rough journey, but I'm not happy with it. TMS has made me really teary, I cry at the slightest thing now, including writing this, I used to have tear ducts of stone...
I've had a bad week and am still in hospital, I was supposed to leave yesterday, but now it's hopefully Saturday. I still think TMS worked because I'm managing bad situations in a much more mature way than I would have without it; and I've had a number of challenges to test me whilst I've been here. I have two new house mates now, L is one of  them, I can't wait to be living with her and our house will look amazing because she has art and can make it and has an amazing photographer as a best friend.

3 comments:

  1. I disagree with what you've said here. The article is meant to be a basic one, not an in depth analysis. They have talked about doctors, psychologists and medication. They have also said that God does care, and our mind and bodies will eventually be renewed, but these topics are no more a focus point than anything else. I disagree with you saying that God has done nothing for you, because to say that is to deny his sovereignty. I want you to think about these 2 verses. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving 1 Timothy 4:4. EVERYTHING good is from God. Not from doctors, or friends, or family or anywhere else but from God. And it needs to be received with thanksgiving to God. I'm sorry you're having a bad week. I hope you get out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article is also written to give insight to people who have never suffered from depression and anxiety. Every little bit of information that is given to people is one step closer to them understanding what is going on with sufferers. I even a small article like this has helped my family and friends understand what I go through each day. It is so hard for them to watch and see me go through this and not know what to do.
    In responses to the medication and TMS working, cant you see God given you these options to help you. God sometimes heals people in ways that are not medication but he puts all good things in our path. We need to praise and thank him for all things that are good. We don’t need to search far to find God, he is in our friendships, he is in the doctors and medical staff that look after us, he is in every sun rise and sun set. Although God may feel distant, he isn’t, he is there with his hand on every good and perfect gift.
    God did not promise that our lives would be easy, he in fact told us that they would not be. It’s part of living in a fallen world, all we need to do is honour Him and Worship him through it all and God will deliver us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alie and Bec. I see where you're coming from and I agree with you, I was just saying how I felt. I know the article was meant to be a short appertiser for people wanting / needing to read more; it was more so the new minds, new bodies bit that got to me, I don't think that's a wise thing to advertise to a depressed person. I know God didn't promise our lives to be easy, but I think I've had enough of struggling to love and obey a god who lets this happen, I'm not giving up just yet (I can be pretty persistent) but I see my non-Christian friends coping just as well or better and enjoying life more than me and I want that; but then I want heaven too (now)!

    ReplyDelete