Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Disappointing Read

I attempted to write a post yesterday, but after close to an hour I gave up. I fear being judged for my ill thought out ideas, poor grammar and the punctuation of a 10 year old; so I spend far too long reading, editing, deleting and re-writing my posts, when I doubt many people care if I don’t know how to use a comma.

So yesterday I was trying to have a little blog rant (which I deleted) about this article in The Age about Jessica Rowe's recovery from post-natal depression. The massive Life & Style logo at the top should have served as a warning of what was to follow. I disobeyed my better judgement and read the whole 208 words (yes, I’m nerdy enough to do a word count on it); by the end I was infuriated and so arose the previously mentioned rant. I first had to find out who the hell Jessica Rowe is -I don’t watch television and so am blissfully unaware of a good chunk of Australian popular culture - Rowe is an educated and experienced contributor to Australian television, she has inhabited the misogynistic world of channel nine and survived (just). Given her education, career development and personal experiences of post-natal depression and misogyny I would expect more insight from her than was offered in this article. I therefore direct my disapproval at the mystery Age columnist, and not just Rowe. I think it is demeaning to sufferers of a significant mental illness to have simplified and saccharine cures thrust in our faces. I acknowledge that this tiny article is in the insubstantial section of the paper/website, but its capacity to harm is present nonetheless, if anything it is amplified because it is more likely to be read by those least likely to analyse what they are being presented with.

Post over, who wants to count the errors?

No comments:

Post a Comment