Sunday, May 19, 2013

Missing


I can't be bothered trying to punctuate properly tonight so please forgive the errors, I do struggle with punctuation, guessing most of the time.
I lead a very lonely life, the only family I have in Australia is my mother and brother, unless you count the ashes of my father and skeleton of my other brother. I have one friend near-by and the rest of them are an hour away. This week I am doing nothing until Thursday, and even that is not until the evening; it is entirely possible that I will not change out of my pyjamas until then. I thought I’d be witty and write a funny post about the little things I miss about certain family members, I got to three paragraphs and realised that I don’t know enough about any of them to miss anything other than the most shallow of details. So I thought I should just write a little ode to my father, but I don’t really know him either. We hardly spoke, a lot of the time I was scared of him, but he was my dad and now he’s gone and I have no opportunity to get to know him.

Here are some things I do know about him that I miss:

  • He was a very giving person, he couldn’t show love properly, he spoke through gifts. I do this too.
  • He was a hard worker, working up until a couple of weeks prior to his death in the midst of radio and chemo therapy.
  • He really loved his older brother, they looked so much alike.
  • When Rico (my black cocker spaniel) moved in with my parents the two of them fell in love and dad had a billionty photos of Rico on his phone which we found after his death.
  • He could fix things – the house is going to fall apart without him.
  • He’s the one who said yes every time I wanted a new pet, including horses!
  • He was impulsive.
  • I have his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment